The DHS Star Quality Child Care Program is a voluntary program for child care providers that encourages and recognizes quality child care programs. Each program is evaluated on 7 Areas of Quality:
- The director’s qualifications or experience, education, and training.
- The education, training, and previous work experience of teaching staff.
- Developmental learning.
- Parent and family involvement.
- Ratios and group size.
- The center’s pay and benefit plans for staff.
- Program assessment (on-site observation).
In addition to meeting DHS Licensure Standards, CYEC has security measures (link) in place to further ensure the well-being and safety of participants and staff.
This is the information for the Security Measures link…
From first aid training for emergency situations to sanitation and ensuring a clean and healthy environment for children, all procedures are designed with the safety and security of children in mind. Although scraped knees are a part of growing up, you can have confidence that your child is cared for in a secure, nurturing environment every day.
How we ensure health and safety at Creative Youth Enrichment Center
- Our high quality playground equipment is safe, sturdy and tested to ensure it is secure and in good working order.
- Safe fall zones with soft landing areas if your child takes a tumble.
- All outside play areas are surrounded by secure fencing.
- The playground is divided into separate areas for different age groups, each with age-appropriate equipment and toys.
- We assess every child’s health by talking with parents and monitoring for symptoms during the course of the day.
- Parents are notified when a child does not feel well to help prevent an illness from spreading.
- Centers are cleaned each day with safe, non-toxic cleaning products.
- Cleaning supplies are locked safely out of reach of children.
- Toys are sanitized throughout the day to help prevent the spread of germs.
- Children are encouraged to wash their hands throughout the day by singing songs and teaching lessons about health and hygiene.
- Diapering is conducted in an area separate from children’s play areas.
- We have strict policies for administering medication to your child to ensure they are protected.
- Medications are stored securely out of the reach of children.
- Medicine must be in original prescription bottle with dose instructions clearly listed.
- Parents must complete a “Permission to Administer Medication” form and a log when medications are left with the center and returned to the parent.
- Our center is secured so that only authorized staff and families may enter.
- In our classrooms, we use safety gates and cap electrical outlets.
- Our center has smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
- We have a DHS approved Emergency Preparedness Plan at the center. Please ask the staff if you would like to see the plan.
- Monthly fire and tornado drills are conducted to ensure staff and children are aware of their roles in the event of an emergency.
- All perishable food is refrigerated.
- We meet the food and safety standards of DHS and the Health Department.
- Menus are planned so that children have nutritious foods.